Sunday, January 3, 2010

Great Divide - Hercules Double IPA

22 oz. into tulip-like glass.

A: Very clear - a light amber color. Thick head with staying power, even with the 2-pour.

S: Grain and Grass (as my brother-in-law says, "these beers taste like weeds"). Obvious Citrus and Apricot, with significant alcohol on the nose.

T: Bitter (in a good way) from start to finish. Vanilla (weird, I know). Bitter orange and grapefruit as you would expect, but the grapefruit almost takes a backseat to the apricot/vanilla, almost. This is, as you like to say, a Hop Bomb, but not in the traditional sense. The vanilla/apricot seems to curb the intensity a bit, but it is still there. The hoppininess seems to mask the alcohol as well, which may be where this comes from.

M: A nice and easy pucker... Sorry, but it is bitter on the cheeks and tongue for quite awhile after the first sip and that, to me, is fabulous.

D: This is a very drinkable beer - not quite what I was expecting with a name like Hercules tied to it, but what do I know. I think the masked alcohol could be dangerous, so buy the 4-pack and not the bomber.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment