Monday, December 28, 2009

Piece Pizza in Wicker Park - Chicago

Piece has great pizza. They have even better beer. Going against the grain in a city filled with deep dish "Chicago-style" pizza lovers, they chose to open a Connecticut-style joint with equally delicious red and white pizzas. My favorite last night:

Red Pizza with goat cheese, onions, sausage and banana peppers.

And then there is the beer. I wasn't there to rate beer, but I did want to mention what I had and my initial thoughts. I started off with their Double IPA - Wackjob. This is a fantastic brew. As you would expect, a very hoppy, 9% abv beer that goes down like water - tread carefully! I had two of the DysfunctionAle - their regular IPA. Very good beer, 6.5% abv and oh so drinkable. I would love to have a fridge full of this stuff. I also tried their Dark Bier - a dark German wheat beer. I am not a fan of this type of beer for the most part, but it was very refreshing and very drinkable. I think it sits at 5% abv. I also tried their Festivus. At 8.5% abv, this potent dark Belgian ale is just too malty to make me a fan favorite. I love a good Belgian, but this seemed to be trying too hard. Finally, I was given a taster of their OMFG, a blend of their Barley Wine and Smoked Porter. Wow!!!! Watch out - at a VERY potent 11% abv, this beer could seriously knock you on your ass. Thankfully, I was given only a shot glass.

Final verdict - great pizza and great beer. They make some of the best IPAs in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment